Even outwardly, this tiny island of 13 hectares looks like his brother. The northern part is a hilly hill, framed by mountains, in the south - sand, flooded vegetation.
Ditches and ramparts in the northern part of the island are the remains of fortifications; he was built here in the mid-fifties of the 16th century by Prince Dmytro Vyshnevetskyi. Later, these fortifications were called towns or castles.
In 1556, from here Vyshnevetskyi went to the Turkish fortress of Islam-Kermen (present-day Kakhovka). A little later, the Crimean Khan Davlet-Girey took possession of the fortifications on Malaya Khortytsia. After fierce battles, Vyshnevetskyi leaves the castle and returns to Cherkasy. The fight against the Ottoman Port and the Crimean Khanate continues. After some time, Vyshnevetskyi was in the hands of the Turkish Sultan Selim II. Struck by the courage and contempt of his captive for death, the sultan invited him to change his faith in the Mohammedan. Vyshnevetskyi rejected this shameful offer.
“Surprised by his courage and perseverance, they divided his heart among themselves and ate in the hope and for themselves to gain something from his courage and contempt for death,” wrote one of the historians.
The folk memory of Vyshnevetskyi was embodied in the Cossack Duma "Song of Baida". The island on the Old Dnipro is named after Baida-Vyshnevetskyi.