It was on July 1, 1900 in the city of Oleksandrivsk that the construction of a secondary seven-grade mechanical and technical school began, the director of which was a well-known engineer and teacher D.M. Podderyogin.
In a year and a half, two- and three-story buildings were erected, which allowed on August 15, 1901, to start classes directly at the new school in Oleksandrivska. The secondary seven-grade mechanical and technical school trained high-class mechanical technicians for industrial enterprises. Graduates received the title of technician with the right to enter the higher technical school. Curricula provided a combination of technical and humanities education.
In 1920 the school became an industrial technical school, 10 years later - an institute of agricultural engineering. Then it managed to become the Automobile Institute and return to agricultural engineering.
In 1957 the university became a machine-building institute. Many residents of Zaporizhzhia still call the current "Zaporizhzhia Polytechnic" a "Mashynka"
In 2019, ZNTU became the best higher education institution in south-eastern Ukraine and was renamed the National University "Zaporizhzhya Polytechnic"