2, Chubanova street, the territory of the recreation center "Jazz", Zaporizhzhia
About the place
After the liberation of the left-bank part of the city of Zaporizhzhia on October 14, 1943, the troops of the 3rd Ukrainian Front, consisting of the 333rd Infantry and 60th Guards Rifle Divisions, were ordered to force the Dnipro and create a bridgehead in the villages: Razumivka, Nyzhnia Khortytsia, Kanivske and Bilenke.
The bridgehead was of great importance for the final liberation of the regional center. But his main role was something else - to pull back the significant forces of the Germans. The enemy weakened other sections of the defense of the right bank.
On November 25, 1943, at midnight on the broad front of Khortytsia-Rozumivka-Bilenke, the crossing of the Dnipro began with the forces of the 333rd Infantry and 60th Guards Rifle Divisions. During November 28-30, the entire bridgehead was captured.
For the successful operation, the title of Hero of the Soviet Union was awarded to: K. Bolshoi, P. Galyatkin, V. Istomin and others.
In 1968, a monument was unveiled in memory of the soldiers who died during the crossing of the Dnipro. The composition is based on the contrast of a geometrically clear vertical pylon and a horizontal plane, imitating a raft on which a warrior’s sculpture is mounted.
The figure of a warrior in a cloak that flutters is dynamic and has a plastic generalization of forms. A granite block with text is installed in front of the monument.
The authors of the memorial complex were sculptors Balakalchuk, Rappoport, Hudas and architects Egorov, Lushchinskaya.
Along with the Memorial Complex Pereprava, artillery pieces were installed and a square was destroyed. Every year, hundreds of tourists visit the memorial site where the legendary crossing of the Dnipro took place.