206, Sobornyi Avenue near the building of the Zaporozhye city council, Zaporizhzhia
About the place
The Avenue of Slava was founded in 1965 during the celebration of the 20th anniversary of the victory over Nazism in World War II by the 23 Heroes of the Soviet Union. On both sides of the Avenue 86 oaks grow, planted by the Heroes of the Soviet Union, a granite board with his name is installed on each tree.
In October 1973, on the eve of the 30th anniversary of the liberation of Zaporizhzhia from the German invaders, two granite steles were installed on the Avenue of Slava, which are interconnected by a stylobate. A bronze memorial plate with the text of the order of the Supreme Commander on the liberation of the city of Zaporizhzhia is fixed on the left ceiling.
In May 1975, the Commissar monument was unveiled by the sculptor Nosenko and architects Vasylevskyi and Fedorenko. The monument was erected in the depths of the Avenue of Slava according to the well-known photograph of the war correspondent Max Alpert Kombat, who immortalized in a high-relief image the feat of our fellow countryman, a native of the village of Tersianka of the Volnyanskyi district, young political commissar Oleksii Eremenko at the time of the attack. Granite slabs are installed to the right and left of the monument.
In 1995, the reconstruction of the Avenue of Slava was carried out. Six granite steles were installed on which the names of military formations that defended our city in 1941-1945 and the names of those who liberated it in October 1943 were cast in bronze.
At the beginning of the Avenue of Slava, two granite steles were installed with the names of all the Heroes of the Soviet Union, whose military and vital fate is closely connected with the Zaporizhzhia Territory. The territory of the Avenue of Slava is laid out with concrete slabs with flower beds in the center.