The historical center of Zaporizhzhia, which has survived to this day among the industrial giant cities. It consists of buildings that have the status of architectural monuments of the 19th century, parks, squares, museums, theaters and a number of historical buildings that in the past were profitable buildings.
The Alexander Fortress and its suburb turned first into a settlement, and in 1806, Olexandrivsk received the status of a county town.
In the second half of the 19th century, large industrial enterprises appeared here, such as: Kopp agricultural equipment factory; Bodavsky Agricultural Engineering Plant; Lepp and Valman agricultural equipment factory (today AvtoZAZ).
Thus, Oleksandrivsk gradually turned into one of the centers of agricultural engineering in Ukraine.
The development of the city was facilitated by the construction in the 1970s of a railway that connected Olexandrivsk with Moscow and the Crimea.
Four times a year, fairs were held in the city, 440 stores and 3 banks worked.
At the end of the 19th century, 63.6 thousand people lived in Oleksandrivsk, there were 7 squares, 95 streets, 8500 residential buildings. In 1893, a water supply was carried out, in 1910 a power station was built.
In the city at the beginning of the 20th century there were 6 secondary schools, 33 elementary schools, 2 schools, the People’s House, 3 cinemas, 2 city libraries, 4 theaters, 2 city gardens and a public garden. Most of the buildings that have survived to this day are monuments of architecture and history that make up the majestic Old Oleksandrivsk in the heart of the city of Zaporizhzhia.
The modern streets of the old city were changed during the development of the city. Asphalt replaced the tile, gas lamps replaced electric ones, some where modern buildings fit into the ranks of old houses.