In the bridges abut on the left bank Tulenina Street, on the right – Doblesna Street, Zaporizhzhia
About the place
Bridges were built during the years 1949-1952 across the channels of the New and Old Dnipro through the north-eastern part of the island of Khortytsia. The project was developed by the Transvestproect engineer Preobrazhensky.
In 1932-1941, according to the project of Professor Alexandrov, two bridges were built across the New and Old Dnipro. For construction high-grade steel of increased strength was used - the so-called silicon steel. Parts of the bridges with the above steel were ordered in Czechoslovakia. In 1941, during the retreat of the Soviet troops, the bridges were blown up.
In early 1944, after the final liberation of the right-bank part of the city of Zaporizhzhia, the restoration of the DniproHES began. To do this, it was necessary to clear the fairways of the New and Old channels of the Dnipro from the metal structures of blown up arch bridges. After the DniproHES was commissioned, work began on the construction of new bridges.
New bridges, unlike pre-war ones, were supposed to be built from reinforced concrete. This was due to the lack of a sufficient amount of highly resistant steel. During the construction of bridges there were many innovations for the first time: layered concreting; block reinforcement of concrete and block formwork is applied. World practice in those years did not yet know reinforced concrete bridges with such spans.
Thanks to Artemenko, in Germany, two cable cranes with a span of 800 m were manufactured at the Bleichert company as a result of reparations. Brought to Zaporizhzhia, they were assembled and successfully used to build bridges.
A 4-arched two-tier bridge was built across the New Dnipro, the lower tier of which was intended for pedestrians and freight vehicles (14.7 m wide), and the second for a double-track railway (11 m wide). The total length of the bridge is 560 m, height 54 m.
The bridge across the Old Dnipro is the largest single-arch reinforced concrete bridge in Ukraine. Its length is 228 m. The vaults of the bridges are designed for the combined effect of railway and motor traffic. In the aesthetic appearance of bridges, an important role is played by the combination of arched structures with verticals of powerful reinforced concrete supports.
Both bridges were put into operation in December 1952. Received a name in honor of their architect.