Located on both sides of the avenue between Central bus station of Zaporizhzhia and the Zaporizhzhia-1 Railway Station. It is surrounded by a high brick fence. A complex of structures made of brick, concrete and metal structures.
In 1863, a German businessman Abraham Kopp opened workshops for the production of agricultural machinery and implements in the Mennonite colony of Shenvize, Oleksandrivsk County. Subsequently, a foundry, carpentry was built, machines were bought and workshops turned into a factory.
With the construction of the railway in 1874, the possibilities for marketing products expanded, which led to an increase in production.
In 1878, the Hildebrandt and Pris agricultural machinery plant (later Bormann Schwede) was commissioned in Shenvize.
In 1887, another large agricultural engineering enterprise appeared - the Lepp & Valman plant of the commercial and industrial company.
For the production of agricultural machinery used a large number of materials from malleable iron, which was imported from abroad.
In 1907, the Copp & Gelker ductile iron factory began to operate in Shenvize. In 1910, the Kopp society became an agricultural machine-building company, employing 800 workers with significant production potential.
All four plants were adjacent to each other and occupied an area of about 160 thousand square meters. As of 1919, there were 15 agricultural enterprises in Oleksandrivsk.
In 1920, the Ukrainian Bureau of the Supreme Economic Council nationalized all plants. In December 1921, the final merger of 15 agricultural plants of the Zaporizhzhia province (Pivdensilmashstroy) took place, in 1923 they became the only Kommunar enterprise that received the status of a state enterprise.
In 1927, the first Ukrainian conveyor for assembling self-throwing stubs was introduced at the plant. Subsequently, a combine harvester was designed, in which in 1930 the first prototype of a domestic combine was tested.
Since the end of 1958, on behalf of the government, production of the first domestic small cars was launched. Since then, the company became known as the Zaporizhzhia automobile factory.
In 1959, the first prototype of the legendary Zaporozhets was released, which became the main exhibit of VDNH of the USSR, and a year later a serial production was launched.
In 1976, the production association Auto ZAZ was established. Since 1987, Tavria front-wheel drive cars have been leaving the main assembly line, and since 1999, in the modifications of Tavria Nova and Slavuta, which can still be seen on local roads in large numbers.
A number of joint ventures were created on the basis of Auto ZAZ during the 1990s: the Ukrainian-Canadian Tavria-Magna, the Ukrainian-Greek, and Korean Korean Avto-ZAZ-DEU, which was remembered for the release of a number of models of world companies.
In the 2000s, the company produced budget family cars Lanos, which are perhaps the most common cars not only in Zaporizhzhia, but throughout Ukraine.
Six factory buildings are still preserved on the territory of the plant: Kopp, Lepp and Valman, Kopp & Gelker.